So until my internship interview today there wasn’t too much of importance. Classes were good. Non descript. I showered and dressed in my business suit and heels. I walked from school to the Holborn station by myself. And this is the first time I have gone anywhere in London by myself. I know this is going to sound very corny but being by self was scary. It wasn’t rush hour thank god. But there were a lot of people and at times it was like I was the only one walking one way into a crowd of people trying to cross to the other side, like in the movies. It was really creepy that I chose to wear heels because then my aloneness was pronounced. I could hear click, click, click made by me, just me, not even any other commuter in London at that time.
I got on the tube. I have this problem with the tube that I want people to spontaneously break out into song and dance. It’s so clean on the tube compared to Boston! I was inspired by a paper I had written the night before for English class to listen to the Beatles on my Ipod. So these people in London have a beautiful transport and the Beatles why aren’t they dancing and signing?!?!?! I had about 10 tube stops to go. And it took me about a half an hour to get there. Not too bad. Its like being on the south campus bus you just a lot time to travel I usually pass the time with a free newspaper that was thrust in my face. I was calmed by the Beatles and all the good luck wishes I received. Then I set off on foot. My family will appreciate this there was Blockbuster in the Tube station on the way to the street I decided was correct – so I was like obviously I am going in the correct direction! And indeed I was! I was told by the supervisor that it was by Novatel and there were blatant signs for the Novatel so I just followed those and it brought me right there. I signed myself into this non descript office building. Then I went to the fourth floor and there it was in the floor in its colors and on the ceiling in mirror reflected tiles. I went into a small newsroom and then waited to be “interviewed” by the head of the bureau. She was running around like a chicken with her head cut off and I was excited becuase that is exactly the kind of newsroom I like so she sort of sat me in her office while she went and took care of business. Her office was really nice complete with a huge flatscreen playing all the newstations. She more of talked and said all these things about what they do and gave me my passwords and another intern to teach me the work. All the other people who work at the desk area were really nice and I look forward to working with them all in the future. I will hopefully get to work on shoots with them, because they allow that and I can even create my own package if I do enough research. I was surprised because I thought the other interns would be British, but they were American from all different schools too. So that was funny. The best part is the shifts are all on a rolling basis so I don’t have to drop any of my classes or be stuck in any certain day or give up my Fridays. But I can do weekends if I have nothing going on. Like this weekend I signed up for Sunday dayside, because in my experience as an intern they throw more at you if they are understaffed on the weekend. So that is excellent news!
Then I came home again on the tube listening to the Beatles. It was lovely. I still couldn’t accept why no one was singing and dancing!?!?! But anyways. After that me, sam zac and gabby went to see Wicked. I knew nothing about it going in and I liked it a lot. The first act was really really good and I thought that was the end of the play but there was a mediocre second half. It’s the story of Glenda the Good Witch and The Wicked Witch of the West and how they were actually friends and The Wicked Witch is good and was just misunderstood. The theater was very nice. We were in the last row – hey what do you want for lastminute.com? IT was funny there were binoculars you could purchase for .50 each I had never seen that at a theater before. The set was beautiful. And I will upload pictures. I would definitely recommend seeing it. And seeing it in London was wonderful too! London Theatre!
After that we went to the American Sports Café because there is no cover charge on Tuesdays for students and the drinks are only 1.00. It was fun. It was crowded with all of what seemed like American college kids. Me and sam just kinda stood there in our dressy attire we went to the show in like ok lets go now. And then we went home and now I am here. Today was a really good day. I will keep you updated on all the goings on at my internship. But I am excited for the internship and the jobs and experience and that I get to ride the tube a lot more.
But after all my aloneness of the day today finding the place by myself and riding the tube by myself… I am more confident. However it was great to be with my friends after and see a play. And forgive me for being poetic, but as I drift off to sleep tonight I know I will just have the hankering that someone would hold my hand. And that is when I, the independent heel clicking intern headed girl, will just take my right hand and hold my left.
Distance never separates people that really care, for our memories span the miles and in seconds we are there. But, whenever I start feeling sad because I miss people I remind myself how lucky I am to have people so special to miss.
Don’t forget me, I’ll write to you soon!
Stacey