Saturday, February 16, 2008

F.alling R.eadily I.nto E.ternity N.ever D.oubting S.omeone


This post is about friends. Past and present.

First of all let me tell you that all of the staff at the Syracuse University London program as well as some friends of mine who have been abroad have all urged and almost downright demanded that we make friends with native UKers. How do they expect us to do this I still don’t know. We all go to class without people in the UK. Do we just walk up to people with accents in Pubs? No I think not those aren’t the kinds of friends I want. My sophomore year roommate, Steph Han told me to join clubs at ULU university of London Union, however the clubs there do not include dance and forgive me I am stubborn but I really am just interested in keeping with something I already know in a foreign place. I don’t see the need to learn fencing while here. Haha. So I am at a standstill for British friends and you know what? That is perfectly ok with me. I like the feeling of anonymity here from locals. Also, in my life at school last semester I made some great friends then alls I had to do was so goodbye to them. I don’t like that idea so I am sheltering myself from it here.

The thing that makes that easier is that I have made AMAZING friends from SU. Friends that I don’t understand how I ever lived without them before here. And I am super excited because a ton of them live near me even at home! So I am already looking forward to being in a much cheaper environment this summer. Take my new friend Dave, I had never met him before – he lives in Andover, my town basically. Weird right? But the main cast of characters has become my wonderful roommates, Sam whom I knew before we have been planning living together since freshman year, Zac whom I have known since I was a fetus we have gone to school together all our lives, Neda one of my other roommates who is practical funky and cool because she puts up with me and we all know that can be a job and a half. Don, is the liaison for the building which means if students have a problem or are homesick etc. they come to him and he is the beyond best man for the job. Every time Don laughs a new angel is born. Then there is Jamie- How did I ever live without her and her sarcasm. We are both going straight to hell but hey at least it will be warm and we will have had a great time – no check that a supermarvelous time! I have never in my life accumulated so many inside jokes with someone in such short time. And her roommate Katy who six degrees of separation anyone is best friends with this girl Zac and I went to gradeschool with, Kaileen is so nice too. She has the same sense of humor and practicalities as I do. She is really cool and adventuresome. Both of those girls are so nice and its easy to be their friends because they are very welcoming and not closed to inviting people out with their other friends. We just sit around and bust each other’s chops all the time. I don’t know how I never met Rory!?!? She is one of my friends from Syracuse, Raquela’s, roommate. Rory is so fun loving and she is like my mom at the same time. We joke about everything and make the best food like at the superbowl J Overall these people are the reason I am on top of the world! I can’t wait for summer because Jaime is from Conn, Katy is from Atkinsonish, and Rory is from Bedford MA. So you best believe rondavue’s all summer in the summer sun with the American dollar!!!! I will always remember this trip and these people! :D

Second of all friends of past and present- Brez is coming to visit Sam and us in T minus three weeks! And StephIE and Tori are coming to live with us for a week and then we are going to Dublin for Easter and that is in T minus 4 weeks. I am going to cry when I see Tori and StephIE at the airport I have already decided. I am so excited to show them around!

Don’t forget me, I’ll write to you soon!

Stacey

Distance never separates people that really care, for our memories span the miles and in seconds we are there. But, whenever I start feeling sad because I miss people I remind myself how lucky I am to have people so special to miss.