Dance
Ok so I took a dance class at none other than Pineapple Dance in Central London. This place is so legitimate. It even has its own instructional video! First of all it’s a miracle that I found my way there and back yay for walkit dot com. I got there and paid my 4 L membership fee. I then scouted out all the other rooms with classes going on. People were sweaty – it smelled of sweat and feet ABSOLUTELY MARVELOUS! Oh how I miss that! But people were there simply for the love of dance! They were in their most mismatching clothes to make a statement of non conformity dance types – like alls they wanted to do was dance, eat, breathe and shower in dance so there was no time to match clothes. Polka dots, checks and stripes - pastels and construction orange suddenly match. The classes that were going on were really cool. All the rooms are rather small with mirrors, barres, hardwood spring floors with stereos that could blast music that you all could hear from the US. I watched a tap class for a little while it was really cool. People were tapping in sneakers, but I don’t think I will take any tap classes. While I was waiting outside the studio patiently catching the last of beginner ballet (really really beginner – they walked across the floor fyi note to self- Don’t take beginner classes.) There were these two classic free spirits who were waiting outside class with black clothes and neon leg warmers the really serious dance as an art type. They had really short bowl hair cuts and put on makeup for what seemed like a silly occasion to sweat it off. I am sure you are wondering what class did I take you ask? Intermediate/ advanced Lyrical Jazz with Rolfe – a 6 foot 5 tall gangly white man with auburn hair and a goatee. He came in dressed up in see through white Nike shorts and a tight navy blue graphic tee with leaves on it. He taught the class a dance to Justin Timberlake. Alls I remember him saying all class was relax your shoulders and don’t pop your ribs and I felt like I was back in Methuen, Ma at Dance Images my old dance studio. Debbie taught me well. Oh I miss her! But I want to say that this class was the most intense thing ever. I pride myself in being able to handle dance classes and I did handle this one. I do not want to brag but I think I turned some eyes during class. It was jam packed with such a good work out and across the floor and I haven’t taken a traditional dance class in sooooo long that I was like I am going to kick this one’s ass! And I did. I was really flexible and kept my shoulders down and chest in and my head up and most importantly I smiled I was having a ball. It was an hour and half, an hour and a half of goodness! It was really cool we had to pay him directly an additional 6L which makes me want to be a dance teacher because he made a pretty good killing with the amount of students in that class! (good thing the school is paying for up to L35 of classes :)) In the future I hope to take his class again. So you know where to find me Monday nights. It was really cool. I did indeed feel like I was in Save the Last Dance or at Juliard. They have legitimate auditions for productions in London and I kinda really want to go to one just to try out… you need a headshot and a resume both of which I do not have…. Maybe Sam can help me out with the headshot from her Photography class… Haha.
But all of this dance talk comes at time when DanceWorks is opening back at school. Oh how I miss that sooooooo much to be on stage performing for all my friends! Good luck girls! Break a leg all three night I need to see that video. And if you are a friend at SU reading this GO SEE DANCEWORKS!
But other than that this week has been cool. My friend Dave’s birthday was Wednesday so we went out to Zoo Bar Tuesday night. That was really fun a ton of Syracuse people came out for that. This weekend we shall see what that has in store… some interning and Julie is coming to visit from YORK YAYAYAYAYAYAY!
Don’t forget me, I’ll write to you soon!
Stacey
Distance never separates people that really care, for our memories span the miles and in seconds we are there. But, whenever I start feeling sad because I miss people I remind myself how lucky I am to have people so special to miss.