Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Malta Day Three

On the third day after our nice rest the night before, we were all still sluggish and decided to go poolside. It was a beauitful day and I think I got the tiniest bit of color yay! I was smart and applied my sunblock (SPF 15) a lot so I didn't get burned like I usually do. I went in the pool that day too, because lets face it, why not? It was filled with ocean water so its like I went in the Med (Sam and I's loving term for the Mediterranian :) ) twice. We ate lunch in the hotel I got a club sandwich which was good. Then after showering off the day doing nothing, we went to eat in town. We found this really cute place. And the bunch of us went. It was a fun dinner with many inside jokes to be explained later in Malta the Funny Stories. A lot of people ventured and tried Maltese cuisines, I had Scampi, which was actually breaded scallops - not shrimp, not what I expected but not that bad because there was gellato at the end of the tunnel. PS just why aren't there more gellato places in the US I will never know... Wanna go into franchizing them with me? Then because Gabby and crew were leaving early the next morning we went back to the hotel and relaxed in the bar there. There was live entertainment and by live entertainment... I mean a paid band that played soft rock hits for the elder crowd. We never got up to dance, darn we let that crowd overshadow us there. But it was fun. It made me miss not having grandpa's. We picked our favorite couple this grandpa clearly dancing with his granddaughter. They were all dancing nicely to the tunes. They were waltzing and trotting, which made me thing what in the tarnation - or how in the tarnation is my generation going to dance at weddings? None of us even try to know how to dance the fot trot or waltz. Are we going to "grind" at weddings, now that wouldn't be appropriate :( I think I should take some waltzing lessons, anyone else in?

Then Brez, Zac, Sam and I got a bottle of special reserve and went and played cards on a balcony (becuase yes, our rooms had balconies). Then we called it a night. The next morning we woke up had breakfast did some souvineering shopping and decided to check out Justin's suggestion that they had gone to the other day, Golden Bay and let me tell you - Golden Bay is spring break 09'. It was beautiful. The weather wasn't that hot but in the sun it was tolerable. I found some shells and cool sea rocks skimmed a few in the ocean side armed ( my favourite beach activity). We took the last bus home finally getting the hang of the safe journey that Malta bus promised us, haha. We however didn't plan this day and the hotel bus properly... first when we decided to leave, it was on the buses' only one hour hiatis for lunch break. When we got back to town, it was dinner break. So we went to the same place we went for dinner the night before (because Zac and Brez dreamed about the bruschetta that Gabby got the night before) and because it was really cold once the sun went down. We met a new friend who owned the restaurant who left for an extended period of time, then came back with a briefcase...hmmmm. But then we thought to dilly dally because the bus came at a certain time but alas after we paid and left the restaurant we dilly dallied for too long. Instead of freezing for a half an hour we just waltzed right into the hotel opposite where the shuttle picked people up and pretended like we belonged. Yup, used the facilities and all, nice bathrooms, nice hotel actually. That got me thinking that if you are just confident in how you act you can "belong" almost anywhere. It's a little bit scary acutally, no one noticed we were peaceful intruders. Then we took the bus home, rested and showered, got room service.

Room service

Now becuase I am a frugal college student you had the option to either order and go pick up for "take away" as they so affectionately call it here in the UK or get room service and get charged an extra 2 Euros, so you best believe I opted for the take away. Alls I wanted was cheese pizza, margherita pizza if you will, or just sauce and cheese. Oh language barrier. I asked for a sauce and cheese pizza and when the waitress on the other line had to "check with the kitchen to see if they could make that "... I should have known something was wrong becuase it was definitely on the menu downstairs. So I go pick it up and ravenouzly eat a piece and my mouth is on fire... the pizza doesn't taste quite right... it tastes like... it tastes like they added tobasco sauce?!?!?!?!? Yes, indeed they had oh well. I was so hungry that I ate it and so did everyone else. We then went to beddie bye becuase we had to take a very early cab in the morning to leave Malta. On flights - pride myself in watching the take off and the landing or whenever I can see land. I dunno why, I just like doing that, I pay for a flight I want to see the land from above. I couldn't tell what was bluer the sky or the ocean. And at a certain point I couldn't tell what was the sky and what was the ocean, the crests of waves of the ocean made it seem like that was the sky and it was disorienting in a good way like when you drink sprite thinking it was only boring water. I was reminded of a quote that my writing professor said, "Looking out the plane window at the earth is like reading a book in another language you can't understand." Its true that is the earth that we live on but seen in a way we can't normally comprehend. We landed fine, we got in flight breakfast that was thouroughly gross. The inflight movie was my super ex girlfriend so I read my great book "The Echo Maker" and dozed off. Then we took the tube home. Then I picked up Stephie for her spring break of touring London! :) YAY!


IPodular device of goodness

Now going back a little bit, as nice as this hotel was - it didn't have any alarm clocks. I forgot my cell phone the whole trip - normally i would have used that as an alarm clock. We found out soon enough when one night we wanted a 5 pm wake up call that the language barrier affected that so it couldn't be trusted, so I found a new way to wake up. Crank up the Ipod volume and use its alarm clock. Hey- It works.

To be continued... with funny Maltese stories/ inside jokes you will be on the inside after reading.

Don’t forget me, I’ll write to you soon!

Stacey

Distance never separates people that really care, for our memories span the miles and in seconds we are there. But, whenever I start feeling sad because I miss people I remind myself how lucky I am to have people so special to miss.